I know that this is long overdue. I was supposed to comment on every case as I completed them; however, I am going to comment now that I have finished them all.
Before I begin, I just wanted to say that before I could blink an eye, the skills and tools that I have learned through the class and the CaseGrader have already been useful to me. I was recently volunteering at a Habitat for Humanity Outlet store when the floor manager asked if anyone had experience with Excel. I quickly volunteered and received a job. I then shocked her with my skill and was able to create an entire inventory worksheet with items such as incoming orders, truck arrival and departure, stock inventory, and sold items. She marveled at my skills and jokingly offered me a job. It was just a pleasure to see that something you actually learned in class proved to be extremely useful in the real world. Professor, Thank you!!
Word Case 1: Workshop Descriptions
We performed very basic work on this document but nonetheless I gained out of doing so. This case helped me with the ease at which I navigated through the document. In addition, I worked on correcting, formatting, editing, and formatting text. It was also one of my first times working with the mini-toolbar.
Word Case 2: DTS Candidates FAQ
The net case furthered my feeling comfortable with Microsoft Word. This case asked for me to work on basic Word tools such as copy, paste, cut, find, replace, and spelling and grammar while editing a FAQ Document. More importantly it helped me feel comfortable with the convenient short cuts that Word offers. Also, it was very interesting to use the Office Clipboard tool that is extremely helpful in collecting and pasting different items. Finally, the case also challenged me to be efficient and careful in moving words, and sometimes paragraphs from one part part of the document to another.
Excel Case 1: Elder@tech Travel
Again, this case helped me become proficient in many of the basic functions and tools of Excel. I accomplished this by creating a daily nutrition log. The case asked to create a basic work and edit it using basic formulas such as SUM. In addition, it was one of my first times using Excel 2007 and I felt comfortable maneuvering my way around the document. It also tested my abilities in selected cells. It was a very nice introduction into the world of Excel.
Excel Case 2: Custom Cap sales
This case dealt with data analysis. This was a different experience of working with a Excel sheet and formatting and analyzing the data given to me. I was asked to apply cell styles, create and deal with more functions, as well as format charts, columns as well as merge cells and modify the content. This case had me introduce a chart and then format the chart to the desired format. This case was a step up the creation of more advanced works.
Excel Case 3: Statistics tracking
Using staffing as an example we dealt with statistics tracking. Now, we delved into the deeper realms of Excel and dealt with headers and foots, creating formulas and then selecting fields of cells to fit into those functions. I was also introduced to modifying worksheet names and orientations. It also helped me become comfortable using one of the most convenient tools in Excel, the AutoSum tool. It was also very challenging to now be asked to perform a task while having to come up with the actual formula on my own. I also became efficient at maneuvering my way between worksheets. It was satisfying to see my worksheets coming to life.
Excel Case 4: Produce Comparison
Dealing with a catering company helped us with produce comparison. We were asked to compare the cost of produce that was purchased per week and needed to use the Excel formulas to complete the works analysis. This was a challenging case after only just being introduced to cell references. I now feel comfortable using absolute and relative cell references and understand how they can be useful tools. Again, using more formulas such as Average and Max were very useful.
Excel Case 5: FLMC budget
As an accountant I really enjoyed creating and preparing this financial statements. This case dealt with analyzing data and reworking into to present a useful presentation of the data. Creating useful charts that help give understanding to data is essential in my field and I enjoyed learning how to perform these tasks. Given the task of "preparing a worksheet to present to the board" is a task I may face every day of my professional life and I found this case to be extremely educational.
Excel Case 6: blue mesa schedule
Using a golf course as an example we created a Tee Time schedule. I happen to love golf and play often and was very interested in seeing how a course may run efficiently. This case again challenged me to use absolute references and then apply them to other cells using the always useful fill Handel. This was a very challenging and rewarding conclusion to the work on Excel and it really made me work on my entering data into given data and my skills in formatting and editing the information before me.
PowerPoint Case 1: Elder@Tech Travel
We now start in the world of PowerPoint and began with a travel presentation that would showcase the relevant information. I performed basic tasks of adding new slides, creating bulleted lists, and inserting multi-level lists. Again, it was an adjustment getting used to the new PowerPoint 2007.
PowerPoint Case 2: client services
Here I formatted the client services presentation of a company. Here I was given certain information which I needed to add to and format and correct in order that it be sent out to clients. My tasks included creating and adjusting shapes as well as choosing the proper document theme which continues throughout the entire document.
Overall, I had an excellent experience with CaseGrader. Many of the tasks were rather easy but there were many times where I was challenged to think and create new information as well as appealing ways of presenting that information. I really did gain useful skills and will be able to use them for the rest of my life.